- Position title: African Legal Support Facility - Corporate Secretary
- Grade: PL3/4
- Position N°: NA
- Reference: ADB/14/001
- Publication date: 24/02/2014
- Closing date: 16/03/2014
The African Legal Support Facility ("ALSF" or the "Facility") is an international organization established by Treaty on December 15, 2008. The Facility is temporarily housed at the African Development Bank ("AfDB") in Tunis, Tunisia. Its membership is open to (a) all AfDB member states; (b) other states; (c) AfDB; and (d) other international organizations or institutions. ALSF's main objectives include: (i) assisting AfDB’s Regional Member Countries (RMCs) address litigation brought against them by vulture funds (and other such entities); (ii) creating an avenue for AfDB's RMCs to access technical advice when negotiating complex commercial transactions (especially in the area of infrastructure and natural resources); and (iii) investing in and organizing the training of legal counsel from participating RMCs to equip them with legal expertise necessary to better represent their countries.
The institutional structure of the Facility consists of (i) the Governing Council, (ii) the Management Board, and (iii) a Director. The Corporate secretary will be responsible for supporting the Chairpersons of the Management Board and the Governing Council in the organization and management of meetings and other duties which the Director may assign to him or her.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assisting the Chairpersons of the Management Board and the Governing Council in convening meetings and transmitting agenda and documents to the members of the Management Board and the Governing Council, and other duties which the Director may assign to him or her.
- Coordinating any voting processes, taking accurate recording of proceedings, decisions and resolutions taken at meetings.
- Furnishing Management Board and Governing Council members with key information, documentation and legal advise as required.
- Ensuring that, if required, documents presented to the Management Board and Governing Council are translated into the official languages of the Facility in a timely fashion.
- Providing interpretation services in the official languages of the Facility, whenever necessary.
- Draft Resolutions and minutes related to the Facility’s Governing Council and Management Board.
- Draft preliminary documents that are required for the effective operation of the Facility.
- Manage correspondence with Member States of the Facility and attend to any queries from representatives of such member states as they relate to the Facility.
- Advise the Director on all matters related to the work of the Board and the Council.
- Assist the Director in appointing external advisors of the Facility where required.
- Perform such other assignments as may be required from time to time by the director.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A Minimum of a Master’s degree or its university equivalent plus admission to the Bar of a member of the AfDB.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience including in international law and in matters pertaining to the organization and conduct of meetings, protocol questions as well as various activities and matters related to organizations as the ALSF.
- Demonstrable diplomatic skills and experience working in complex and politically-sensitive contexts.
- Demonstrated effective coordination skills and an ability to work under pressure in a multicultural environment to complete multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral skills in English and in French. Fluency in one other language such as Arabic and Portuguese will be an added advantage.
In addition to the foregoing, the candidate should possess:
- Possess a high level of integrity, moral values, discretion and confidentiality;
- Willingness to undertake extensive travel; and
- Competence in the use of standard IT software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Details available on request.
Download the document
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Submitted by: Division Manager, CHRM1
- Approved by: Director, CHRM
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online application, and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). The AfDB President reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply: www.afdb.org/jobs